The residential building of a high-ranking officer with a surface area of some 1,100 m2 was situated directly on the main camp road running from east to west (via principalis). In pre-Roman times a huge trench from a Celtic fortification had been located here. The Romans removed the fortification wall and filled the trench so as to be able to build their camp on it. As the centuries passed the fill layers in the Celtic ditch gradually sunk down, causing the excavation layers from Roman times to subside as well. Go underground and explore this roman site Today, visitors to the Legionary Trail go underground where they come across the exceptionally well-preserved remains of this residential building. The "sunken" Mediterranean-style officer's kitchen with its large cooking stove is a particularly spectacular feature. The likewise well-preserved cooking waste and food remains have been archaeobiologically examined and show just what exquisite meals the chefs would prepare for the officer and his guests: roast suckling pig, songbirds, venison, Mediterranean mackerel and oysters were particularly popular – evidence of choice southern European cuisine in the middle of the Helvetian province. The Romans loved to throw lavish banquets followed by drinking sessions. These were private functions, the aim often being to impress guests by serving expensive, elaborately prepared dishes. But it was important to keep the simple soldiers amused, too not just the higher-ranking officers. Taverns were provided for this purpose. One such taberna was situated directly adjacent to the officers' residential building. For anyone staying overnight at the camp it was the perfect place to take a nightcap. This roman site can be visited with museum admission.
The aqueduct of Vindonissa now supplies a water fountain, making it the oldest structure in Switzerland that still performs its original function. Using innovative surveying technology, the legionaries were able to construct the aqueduct over a stretch of 2.4 kilometres with a gradient of just 4‰. The fresh water system supplied water for drinking, cooking and other domestic purposes for some 6,000 legionaries, auxiliary troops, horses and mules. It would not have been possible to live in the legionary camp without this fresh water supply. The aqueduct is a technological masterpiece: groundwater was captured in an elaborately constructed, subterranean stone channel in Hausen and transported to Windisch. The legionaries used a special watertight mortar to ensure the water was not lost on the way. Once it had arrived in the camp, the fresh water was further distributed in pipes made of clay, lead and wood. Roman engineers applied highly precise surveying methods and ingenious construction techniques to create such facilities. Unknown in this area in pre-Roman times, the aqueduct is regarded as the Roman's most important civilisatory feat - along with their baths and infirmaries. The water system continued to be used by Königsfelden Monastery in the Middle Ages. The story goes that during construction of the monastery, a monk was "shown by God where water could be found". A document dating back to 1363 provides evidence that the aqueduct was endowed to the monastery by Duke Rudolf IV of Austria. Up until 1897 it was the only supply of drinking water serving the population of Windisch, and even today it feeds the fountain in front of the main building of Königsfelden psychiatric clinic. This roman site can be visited with museum admission.
The large sewer ran along the western front of the legionary camp, immediately adjacent to the camp wall. It lay under the road parallel to the camp wall (via sagularis) and formed part of an extensive subterranean sewage system. The system as a whole is estimated to have been more than five kilometres long, running through the entire camp. Built out of stone, the drains were used for the latrines, thermal baths and well overflows, also ensuring fast drainage of water from the roofs and roads when it rained. The large sewer collected the effluent from the smaller side drains, allowing it to flow directly out of the camp to the River Aare in the north. A functional drainage system was required so as to prevent the spread of disease and epidemics in the legionary camp. Together with the troop toilets, thermal baths and camp infirmary, the drainage system was one of the most important hygienic facilities in keeping the approx. 6,000 legionaries healthy and therefore fit for action. The large sewer was discovered as long ago as 1899. It was investigated once again in 1907 and the excavator at the time named it the "Cloaca Maxima of Vindonissa" – in reference to the monumental drainage system in Rome itself. In order to make the large sewer accessible to the public in the early 20th century, a section measuring at least 20 metres in length was preserved. After this the "Cloaca Maxima" was neglected. It was not until some 100 years later that it was possible to open up the drain to Legionary Path visitors: measuring two metres in height and one metre in width, it can be conveniently accessed. The large sewer can be visited with museum admission.
The accurately soldiers' quarters (contubernia) are absolutely unique in Europe and offer overnight stays for families, schools and groups. They have been reconstructed using wood, clay and limestone based on the methods that would have been deployed between 30 and 45 AD. During this period, the 13th Legion was stationed at Vindonissa with approx. 5,000 to 6,000 soldiers. The contubernia reproduced here were built entirely by hand – just as the legionaries themselves would have built the originals. The materials used, the construction techniques and the dimensions have been recreated as faithfully as possible down to the last detail. The scientific basis for this was provided by archaeological excavations at Vindonissa and other Roman military camps. Space was very limited A contubernium (shared barrack room or tent) consisted of two rooms. The legionaries used the front room to keep their weapons and equipment in, while the rear room was for living and sleeping. They would also cook in the contubernium as evidenced by the fireplaces found. Eight legionaries cohabited in a contubernium so space was very limited. Generally speaking, ten contubernia went together to form a soldiers' quarters (centuria). With a total of 80 men, the unit was commanded by a centurio or officer. His dwelling was at the head of a soldiers' quarters and was considerably larger and more comfortable than the legionaries' dwellings. Work which required space such as cleaning and repairing weapons was presumably carried out under the covered porch (porticus). In a legionary camp there were also large workshop buildings (fabricae) in which specially trained craftsmen soldiers (immunes) carried out various types of work such as fashioning wood, metal and leather. Alongside there were also smaller workshops (fabriculae) which were directly attached to the contubernia. The contubernia be visited with museum admission.
Switzerland's first ever military hospital was built 2,000 years ago at Vindonissa. The 60 sick rooms enabled the provision of medical care for up to 300 legionaries. At the camp hospital (valetudinarium), military doctors and medical orderlies treated battle injuries, everyday illnesses and work accidents. In addition to the infirmary, the Romans also invented the world's first ever medical service. The military hospital is approx. 4,500 m2 in size and was discovered in 1936. Built first out of wood and later stone, it was situated at the centre of the camp, directly on one of the main camp roads (via decumana). The sick rooms were arranged on each side of a corridor around a large courtyard. The hospital area was archaeologically investigated but has since been entirely covered with modern buildings. In mobile marching camps and probably during the early days of Vindonissa, soldiers were looked after in tents. An authentically reconstructed and fully equipped field infirmary of this type made of goatskin leather is on display here. Surgical instruments as discovered in great numbers in Vindonissa as well as herbs, ointments and scrolls with ancient prescriptions impressively convey how Roman doctors performed surgery, blood-letting and other healing techniques. The second tent contains three camp beds. Here, three legionaries tell visitors about their own personal medical history. Even judging by today's standards, Roman healing methods were quite sophisticated. Medicine was based on a holistic approach that encompassed nutrition, pharmacy and surgery. However, the gods had an important role to play when it came to health issues, too – such as Asclepius, the god of healing, and his daughter Hygieia: Roman doctors (medici) swore the famous Hippocratic oath by both of them. The military hospital can be visited with museum admission.
A legionary camp had four camp gates (portae), through which the two main roads led into the camp: the front gate (porta praetoria), the rear gate (porta decumana) and the two side gates (portae principales). The West Gate at Vindonissa was much more elaborately designed than the North and South Gate, featuring two large polygonal side towers. This was due to its position: it was here that the main roads from Gaul, Italy and Germania led into the camp. The two towers, whose foundation walls still survive, were octagonal in shape and would probably have extended to a height of some 20 metres. Beside the main entrance for carriages there was also a passageway on each side for pedestrians. Inside the West Gate (porta principalis dextra) began the main road running from west to east (via principalis), one of camp's the two main traffic arteries. This ran to the East Gate (porta principalis sinistra), crossing the main road that went from south to north (via praetoria). The Roman road running from the West Gate passed directly underneath Königsfeld Monastery - built later by the Habsburgs - and also under the start/finish point of the Legionary Path. Outside the West Gate, the road led on into the Swiss midland region to Aventicum, the capital of the Helvetii, and over Bözberg to Augusta Raurica. The civil settlement was also situated in front of the West Gate: this had developed next to legionary camp over the years and continued to exist after the troops were withdrawn from Vindonissa in 101 AD. The settlement was home to merchants and craftsmen of both local and Roman origin as well as the soldiers' family members. The multi-storey car park at Northwestern Switzerland University of Applied Sciences and Arts (Brugg-Windisch campus) has a kiln showroom where well-preserved pottery kilns and a potter's dwelling can be visited free of charge. The West Gate can be visited without museum admission.
Directly at the intersection of the two main roads (Via principalis and Via praetoria) was the staff building (principia), the largest building within the camp. One of its central rooms was the flag shrine. In front of it was a portico that led to a large courtyard where there was an altar and a water basin, which was probably used for washing during sacrificial rites. Dazzling emblems The standards were placed in the flag shrine. These included the unit standards, adorned with dazzling decorations, and the flags (vexilla) for smaller units and cavalry. Of particular importance was the image of the emperor (imago), the supreme commander, whose presence was symbolised by his standard. Most important to the legionaries, however, was the golden eagle, a symbol of the supreme god Jupiter. The eagle was only taken from the shrine when the entire legion set off on a march, and was carried ahead of it. At least two feast days have been recorded, during which the standards were the focus of attention, venerated and decorated. During these days, specific sacrificial rituals were performed for the highest deities, and on one of these feast days the oath was taken to the legion and the emperor. The flag shrine therefore combines emperor worship, faith in the gods and army ritual. Officers were even assigned to guard this sacred space, which made it the best guarded place in the legionary camp. That may also explain why the legion kept its funds here. The flag shrine is accessible with museum admission.
A place of commemoration for the Habsburg family was created at the scene of King Albrecht I's murder. The stained glass windows of the church of Königsfelden Abbey reflect the very highest level of craftsmanship at the time and contributed to the renown of the monastery as a whole. Created between 1320 and 1360, the windows are among the most outstanding specimens of European stained glass in the Late Middle Ages. The window cycle The chancel windows were donated by family members of the murdered King Albrecht I such as his wife Elisabeth, his daughter Agnes and his sons. Their images are to be found on certain windows. In spite of some damage on the south side of the chancel, none of the windows has been entirely lost. Königsfelden Abbey thus possesses a virtually complete series of images. The chancel windows The image series in the chancel is structured in pairs on opposite sides. On the northern side (left) the windows show scenes from the lives of St. Anna and St. Francis, founder of the Franciscan order. These correspond to the figures on the southern side (right): St. Clare, founder of the Clarists, and next to her St. Nicholas. These are followed by images of the apostles on opposite sides. The Franciscans were very much oriented towards the apostles as direct witnesses of the life of Jesus. There then follows the pair of windows showing St. Paul and Mary as well as John the Baptist and St. Catherine. Since it reflects diverse and in some cases shared connections between the founder family and the order, the programme was probably compiled by order theologians and Habsburg scholars. The apse The central point and culmination of the chancel is the Passion of Christ – the crucifixion. To the left of this we see Jesus' childhood up to his baptism by John the Baptist. The resurrection and the miracle of Pentecost are shown on the right. Preservation and restoration The stained glass windows did not survive such an eventful history unscathed. Various conversions and installations in the nave led to the destruction of the windows there: these showed selected representatives of the House of Habsburg. The chancel windows were also affected by this. However, they were either renewed according to contemporary practice or replaced with different panes. Glass painter Richard Nüscheler undertook a thorough renewal of the windows between 1896 and 1900. He reconstructed the windows as best he could based on the original conception. The extensive restoration and conservation of the chancel windows carried out from 1988 to 2002 followed this reconstruction with a few exceptions. The window cycle (in German) (2 MB)
The discovery of the North Gate (porta decumana) in 1905 was a major breakthrough for early Vindonissa research. Any remaining doubts were finally dispelled: Vindonissa really had been a legionary camp and not a civil settlement. The gate is situated at the northern periphery of the Windisch plateau, directly above the slope running down to the River Aare. From here there is an impressive view to the north where the Aare cuts through the Jura Mountains. The Romans had clearly identified the outstanding strategic position of the plateau at the confluence of the Aare, Reuss and Limmat rivers and near to the important Aare gorge to the north. This excellent geographical location at Switzerland's natural moated castle enabled fast and convenient transport of large quantities of goods and personnel for military purposes. The waterways integrated Vindonissa in the vast Roman network of long-distance trade. Good connecting routes for troop movements and furnishing supplies to the soldiers were a key instrument of power in the Roman Empire. The embankment running down to the Aare was presumably too steep for carriages, which is why the North Gate served another function as well as being a sentinel: large amounts of rubbish were carted out of the camp through the gate and deposited on the northern slope, eventually creating an enormous mound. This mound is an immense asset to archaeological research since it contains thousands of preserved objects - particularly leather and wooden items including some 600 wooden writing tablets. These unique artefacts provide fascinating insights into the everyday lives of the Vindonissa legionaries and can now be viewed at the Vindonissa Museum in Brugg. The North Gate can be visited without museum admission.
Legionärspfad Vindonissa – Museum Aargau Königsfelderstrasse 265 5210 Windisch Tel. 0848 871 200 Send a message Organisation Museum Aargau Management Member Contact Dr. Marco Sigg Director E-Mail Sibylla Fischer Head of Marketing & Communications E-Mail Rahel Göldi Head of Museum Programme E-Mail Andrea Lehner Head of Guest Services E-Mail Thomas Lüscher Head of Operations & Administration E-Mail Dr. Rudolf Velhagen Head of Collection & Conservation E-Mail
12 out of 20
Vindonissa Museum
Roman Finds from 100 Years of Research
Enjoy an interactive experience of the ancient world! The Vindonissa Museum in Brugg shows the most important finds from Vindonissa, the only Roman legionary camp on the territory of present-day Switzerland.
CITY FESTIVAL OPENING HOURS
The Brugg City Festival will take place from 20 to 30 August 2026. The Vindonissa Museum will be offering a special programme from Thursday to Sunday each week. The following opening hours apply: