Vindonissa Legionary Trail

Military hospital (Valetudinarium)

Switzerland's first ever military hospital was built 2,000 years ago at Vindonissa. The 60 sick rooms enabled the provision of medical care for up to 300 legionaries. At the camp hospital (valetudinarium), military doctors and medical orderlies treated battle injuries, everyday illnesses and work accidents. In addition to the infirmary, the Romans also invented the world's first ever medical service. The military hospital is approx. 4,500 m2 in size and was discovered in 1936. Built first out of wood and later stone, it was situated at the centre of the camp, directly on one of the main camp roads (via decumana). The sick rooms were arranged on each side of a corridor around a large courtyard. The hospital area was archaeologically investigated but has since been entirely covered with modern buildings. In mobile marching camps and probably during the early days of Vindonissa, soldiers were looked after in tents. An authentically reconstructed and fully equipped field infirmary of this type made of goatskin leather is on display here. Surgical instruments as discovered in great numbers in Vindonissa as well as herbs, ointments and scrolls with ancient prescriptions impressively convey how Roman doctors performed surgery, blood-letting and other healing techniques. The second tent contains three camp beds. Here, three legionaries tell visitors about their own personal medical history. Even judging by today's standards, Roman healing methods were quite sophisticated. Medicine was based on a holistic approach that encompassed nutrition, pharmacy and surgery. However, the gods had an important role to play when it came to health issues, too – such as Asclepius, the god of healing, and his daughter Hygieia: Roman doctors (medici) swore the famous Hippocratic oath by both of them. The military hospital can be visited with museum admission.

 
Vindonissa Legionary Trail

Large sewer (Cloaca Maxima)

The large sewer ran along the western front of the legionary camp, immediately adjacent to the camp wall. It lay under the road parallel to the camp wall (via sagularis) and formed part of an extensive subterranean sewage system. The system as a whole is estimated to have been more than five kilometres long, running through the entire camp. Built out of stone, the drains were used for the latrines, thermal baths and well overflows, also ensuring fast drainage of water from the roofs and roads when it rained. The large sewer collected the effluent from the smaller side drains, allowing it to flow directly out of the camp to the River Aare in the north. A functional drainage system was required so as to prevent the spread of disease and epidemics in the legionary camp. Together with the troop toilets, thermal baths and camp infirmary, the drainage system was one of the most important hygienic facilities in keeping the approx. 6,000 legionaries healthy and therefore fit for action. The large sewer was discovered as long ago as 1899. It was investigated once again in 1907 and the excavator at the time named it the "Cloaca Maxima of Vindonissa" – in reference to the monumental drainage system in Rome itself. In order to make the large sewer accessible to the public in the early 20th century, a section measuring at least 20 metres in length was preserved. After this the "Cloaca Maxima" was neglected. It was not until some 100 years later that it was possible to open up the drain to Legionary Path visitors: measuring two metres in height and one metre in width, it can be conveniently accessed. The large sewer can be visited with museum admission.

 
Vindonissa Legionary Trail

Flag shrine (Aedes)

Directly at the intersection of the two main roads (Via principalis and Via praetoria) was the staff building (principia), the largest building within the camp. One of its central rooms was the flag shrine. In front of it was a portico that led to a large courtyard where there was an altar and a water basin, which was probably used for washing during sacrificial rites. Dazzling emblems The standards were placed in the flag shrine. These included the unit standards, adorned with dazzling decorations, and the flags (vexilla) for smaller units and cavalry. Of particular importance was the image of the emperor (imago), the supreme commander, whose presence was symbolised by his standard. Most important to the legionaries, however, was the golden eagle, a symbol of the supreme god Jupiter. The eagle was only taken from the shrine when the entire legion set off on a march, and was carried ahead of it. At least two feast days have been recorded, during which the standards were the focus of attention, venerated and decorated. During these days, specific sacrificial rituals were performed for the highest deities, and on one of these feast days the oath was taken to the legion and the emperor. The flag shrine therefore combines emperor worship, faith in the gods and army ritual. Officers were even assigned to guard this sacred space, which made it the best guarded place in the legionary camp. That may also explain why the legion kept its funds here. The flag shrine is accessible with museum admission.

 
Vindonissa Legionary Trail

Soldiers' quarters (Contubernia)

The accurately soldiers' quarters (contubernia) are absolutely unique in Europe and offer overnight stays for families, schools and groups. They have been reconstructed using wood, clay and limestone based on the methods that would have been deployed between 30 and 45 AD. During this period, the 13th Legion was stationed at Vindonissa with approx. 5,000 to 6,000 soldiers. The contubernia reproduced here were built entirely by hand – just as the legionaries themselves would have built the originals. The materials used, the construction techniques and the dimensions have been recreated as faithfully as possible down to the last detail. The scientific basis for this was provided by archaeological excavations at Vindonissa and other Roman military camps. Space was very limited A contubernium (shared barrack room or tent) consisted of two rooms. The legionaries used the front room to keep their weapons and equipment in, while the rear room was for living and sleeping. They would also cook in the contubernium as evidenced by the fireplaces found. Eight legionaries cohabited in a contubernium so space was very limited. Generally speaking, ten contubernia went together to form a soldiers' quarters (centuria). With a total of 80 men, the unit was commanded by a centurio or officer. His dwelling was at the head of a soldiers' quarters and was considerably larger and more comfortable than the legionaries' dwellings. Work which required space such as cleaning and repairing weapons was presumably carried out under the covered porch (porticus). In a legionary camp there were also large workshop buildings (fabricae) in which specially trained craftsmen soldiers (immunes) carried out various types of work such as fashioning wood, metal and leather. Alongside there were also smaller workshops (fabriculae) which were directly attached to the contubernia. The contubernia be visited with museum admission.

 
Vindonissa Legionary Trail

Officer's kitchen (Culina Centurionis)

The residential building of a high-ranking officer with a surface area of some 1,100 m2 was situated directly on the main camp road running from east to west (via principalis). In pre-Roman times a huge trench from a Celtic fortification had been located here. The Romans removed the fortification wall and filled the trench so as to be able to build their camp on it. As the centuries passed the fill layers in the Celtic ditch gradually sunk down, causing the excavation layers from Roman times to subside as well. Go underground and explore this roman site Today, visitors to the Legionary Trail go underground where they come across the exceptionally well-preserved remains of this residential building. The "sunken" Mediterranean-style officer's kitchen with its large cooking stove is a particularly spectacular feature. The likewise well-preserved cooking waste and food remains have been archaeobiologically examined and show just what exquisite meals the chefs would prepare for the officer and his guests: roast suckling pig, songbirds, venison, Mediterranean mackerel and oysters were particularly popular – evidence of choice southern European cuisine in the middle of the Helvetian province. The Romans loved to throw lavish banquets followed by drinking sessions. These were private functions, the aim often being to impress guests by serving expensive, elaborately prepared dishes. But it was important to keep the simple soldiers amused, too not just the higher-ranking officers. Taverns were provided for this purpose. One such taberna was situated directly adjacent to the officers' residential building. For anyone staying overnight at the camp it was the perfect place to take a nightcap. This roman site can be visited with museum admission.

 
Vindonissa Legionary Trail

West Gate (Porta Principalis)

A legionary camp had four camp gates (portae), through which the two main roads led into the camp: the front gate (porta praetoria), the rear gate (porta decumana) and the two side gates (portae principales). The West Gate at Vindonissa was much more elaborately designed than the North and South Gate, featuring two large polygonal side towers. This was due to its position: it was here that the main roads from Gaul, Italy and Germania led into the camp. The two towers, whose foundation walls still survive, were octagonal in shape and would probably have extended to a height of some 20 metres. Beside the main entrance for carriages there was also a passageway on each side for pedestrians. Inside the West Gate (porta principalis dextra) began the main road running from west to east (via principalis), one of camp's the two main traffic arteries. This ran to the East Gate (porta principalis sinistra), crossing the main road that went from south to north (via praetoria). The Roman road running from the West Gate passed directly underneath Königsfeld Monastery - built later by the Habsburgs - and also under the start/finish point of the Legionary Path. Outside the West Gate, the road led on into the Swiss midland region to Aventicum, the capital of the Helvetii, and over Bözberg to Augusta Raurica. The civil settlement was also situated in front of the West Gate: this had developed next to legionary camp over the years and continued to exist after the troops were withdrawn from Vindonissa in 101 AD. The settlement was home to merchants and craftsmen of both local and Roman origin as well as the soldiers' family members. The multi-storey car park at Northwestern Switzerland University of Applied Sciences and Arts (Brugg-Windisch campus) has a kiln showroom where well-preserved pottery kilns and a potter's dwelling can be visited free of charge. The West Gate can be visited without museum admission.

 
Vindonissa Legionary Trail

North Gate (Porta Decumana)

The discovery of the North Gate (porta decumana) in 1905 was a major breakthrough for early Vindonissa research. Any remaining doubts were finally dispelled: Vindonissa really had been a legionary camp and not a civil settlement. The gate is situated at the northern periphery of the Windisch plateau, directly above the slope running down to the River Aare. From here there is an impressive view to the north where the Aare cuts through the Jura Mountains. The Romans had clearly identified the outstanding strategic position of the plateau at the confluence of the Aare, Reuss and Limmat rivers and near to the important Aare gorge to the north. This excellent geographical location at Switzerland's natural moated castle enabled fast and convenient transport of large quantities of goods and personnel for military purposes. The waterways integrated Vindonissa in the vast Roman network of long-distance trade. Good connecting routes for troop movements and furnishing supplies to the soldiers were a key instrument of power in the Roman Empire. The embankment running down to the Aare was presumably too steep for carriages, which is why the North Gate served another function as well as being a sentinel: large amounts of rubbish were carted out of the camp through the gate and deposited on the northern slope, eventually creating an enormous mound. This mound is an immense asset to archaeological research since it contains thousands of preserved objects - particularly leather and wooden items including some 600 wooden writing tablets. These unique artefacts provide fascinating insights into the everyday lives of the Vindonissa legionaries and can now be viewed at the Vindonissa Museum in Brugg. The North Gate can be visited without museum admission.

 
Königsfelden Abbey

Stained glass windows

A place of commemoration for the Habsburg family was created at the scene of King Albrecht I's murder. The stained glass windows of the church of Königsfelden Abbey reflect the very highest level of craftsmanship at the time and contributed to the renown of the monastery as a whole. Created between 1320 and 1360, the windows are among the most outstanding specimens of European stained glass in the Late Middle Ages. The window cycle The chancel windows were donated by family members of the murdered King Albrecht I such as his wife Elisabeth, his daughter Agnes and his sons. Their images are to be found on certain windows. In spite of some damage on the south side of the chancel, none of the windows has been entirely lost. Königsfelden Abbey thus possesses a virtually complete series of images. The chancel windows The image series in the chancel is structured in pairs on opposite sides. On the northern side (left) the windows show scenes from the lives of St. Anna and St. Francis, founder of the Franciscan order. These correspond to the figures on the southern side (right): St. Clare, founder of the Clarists, and next to her St. Nicholas. These are followed by images of the apostles on opposite sides. The Franciscans were very much oriented towards the apostles as direct witnesses of the life of Jesus. There then follows the pair of windows showing St. Paul and Mary as well as John the Baptist and St. Catherine. Since it reflects diverse and in some cases shared connections between the founder family and the order, the programme was probably compiled by order theologians and Habsburg scholars. The apse The central point and culmination of the chancel is the Passion of Christ – the crucifixion. To the left of this we see Jesus' childhood up to his baptism by John the Baptist. The resurrection and the miracle of Pentecost are shown on the right. Preservation and restoration The stained glass windows did not survive such an eventful history unscathed. Various conversions and installations in the nave led to the destruction of the windows there: these showed selected representatives of the House of Habsburg. The chancel windows were also affected by this. However, they were either renewed according to contemporary practice or replaced with different panes. Glass painter Richard Nüscheler undertook a thorough renewal of the windows between 1896 and 1900. He reconstructed the windows as best he could based on the original conception. The extensive restoration and conservation of the chancel windows carried out from 1988 to 2002 followed this reconstruction with a few exceptions. The window cycle (in German) (2 MB)

 
Vindonissa Legionary Trail

Amphitheatre (Amphitheatrum)

The amphitheatre of Vindonissa is the oldest in Switzerland. It was erected by the 13th legion, initially being made of wood. After a fire, the 21st legion replaced it with the stone structure that survives today. The seating area (cavea) had a capacity of some 11,000 spectators while the oval arena in the centre measured 64x52 metres - the largest of the seven known amphitheatres on Swiss territory. The amphitheatre was a Roman invention that was widespread in the provinces and is regarded as the ultimate symbol of Roman culture. Animal hunting and slaying (venationes) and gladiator duels (munera) were presented to the audience in the arena. The gladiators in particular were highly popular, with real fan communities forming among spectators. Due to their huge popularity among the people, the games were also of political interest to the organisers: popular support could be gained by investing in the games, so no expense was spared when it came to the gladiator pairings. Exotic animals were a particular highlight, too: a possible indication here is the foot bone of a camel that was found at Vindonissa. Since the legionaries liked to be entertained during their free time, too, amphitheatres were virtually a standard feature of legionary camps. Like the troops' parade ground (campus), an amphitheatre would have been situated outside the camp. The first excavations in the amphitheatre at Vindonissa were carried out as long ago as 1897. The structure has been in the possession of the Swiss Confederation since 1898. If you stand in the arena and looked up at the spectator terraces, you can almost sense the excitement and noise even today. The amphitheatre of Vindonissa can be visited without museum admission.

 
Königsfelden Abbey

Sammlung

The Museum Aargau Collection has been assembled from various holdings since 1830. It consists of bequests from Aargau's castles and monasteries, numerous donations, objects acquired from company archives and targeted purchases. The Collection is constantly being expanded and documents Aargau's history in tangible form through objects that can be experienced. Collecting, preserving, researching Collecting, preserving and researching objects are among the core tasks of a museum. A collection strategy defines the criteria according to which objects are collected. When an object is added to the Collection, it is inventoried, documented and preserved for storage by experts. If necessary, it is restored. The objects thus form the basis for research and for exhibitions that use originals to make the past come alive. The items on show in the permanent and special exhibitions of Museum Aargau (including the castles) and other cultural institutions are a mere fraction of what is stored in the Egliswil Collection Centre. Numerous objects are waiting to be exhibited and shown off to the public in the coming years.

Gradian
Luftaufnahme Klosterhalbinsel Wettingen im Gegenlicht mit dramatischen Wolken über dem Kloster.

Wettingen Abbey

Faith, power,
knowledge

Wettingen Abbey is a cultural asset of international standing. Culture, education, history and hospitality merge into one experience at this power spot on the river Limmat.

PLANNING YOUR VISIT

 
Ausstellung in der Mönchskirche Kloster Wettingen: Verschiedene Objekte in einer Vitrine, u.a. ein grosses Altarkreuz

Museum
and tours

Exhibitions, tours and collection  

 
Eine Gästegruppe mit einer Museumsführerin steht vor der Kirche der Klosterhalbinsel Wettingen.

Events and
public tours

Calendar of events  

 
Aussenaufnahme Gästezentrum Klosterhalbinsel Wettingen mit Informationsbildschrim links

Opening hours
and entrance fees

Visit us from April to October  

 
Luftaufnahme Kloster Wettingen mit Klosterpark im Vordergrund

Getting
here

Directions  

 
Luftaufnahme Konventgarten und Abtgarten auf der Klosterhalbinsel Wettingen mit Limmat

Abbey park
and gardens

Discover the historic gardens  

SCHOOLS, FAMILIES AND GROUPS

 
Eine Schulklasse beim Schreiben mit Tinte und Federkiel.

For
schools

Guided tours and puzzle tour  

 
Zwei Mädchen und ein Bub stehen gemeinsam vor dem Kloster Wettingen und blicken direkt in die Kamera. Sie halten eine Landkarte, Broschüre sowie eine Pyramide in den Händen.

For
families

Puzzle tour through Wettingen Abbey  

 
Eine Frau und ein Mann schreiten in Freizeitbekleidung durch den Garten der Klosterhalbinsel Wettingen (Foxtrail).

For
groups

Guided tours of the abbey and gardens  

HISTORY AND COLLECTION

 
Luftaufnahme Klosterhalbinsel Wettingen mit dramatischen Wolken über dem Kloster

Wettingen Abbey and it's history

800 years of history  

 
Ein gelber Heizlüfter, Objekt im Sammlungszentrum Egliswil

Collection

Treasure trove of Aargau's history  

 
Grosses Handy in der Hand eines Benutzers, auf dem Bildschirm ist die "Sammlung online" von Museum Aargau dargestellt.

Collection online

Site in German  

Impressions

Luftaufnahme Kloster Wettingen auf der Klosterhalbinsel, im Hintergrund die Limmat.
Mehrere Personen auf dem Foxtrail Klosterhalbinsel Wettingen. Sie beugen sich über einen antiken Bürotisch und blicken in eine Schublade.
Innenaufnahme Klosterkirche Wettingen (Konventkirche) mit Orgel im Hintergrund.
Blick in den Ausstellungsraum "Parlatorium" auf der Klosterhalbinsel Wettingen. Im Vordergrund ein Schild mit dem Text "Archiv der Fragen", im Hintergrund sitzen Schülerinnen und Schüler diskutierend beeinander.
Ausstellung "Observatorium" auf der Klosterhalbinsel Wettingen: Grosse Leinwand mit Sternenhimmel, davor ein grosser historischer Globus.
Zwei Mädchen und ein Bub stehen gemeinsam vor dem Kloster Wettingen und blicken direkt in die Kamera. Sie halten eine Landkarte, Broschüre sowie eine Pyramide in den Händen.
Innenraum vom Abthaus auf der Klosterhalbinsel Wettingen mit historischen Möbeln und einer Projektion an den Wänden.